Monday, December 8, 2008

bridge work




The ski club put up a nice post about our last volunteer work day. The staff had a work day on Sunday. things went well the bridge is 95% complete. We just need to work on the transition on and off and we are there. Sind\ce I plan to just plow snow up to make it transition it is looking good. the bridge is 12 feet wide and 25-28 feet long. 5 pine trees span the water each has a base diameter of about 16 inches. I'm not an engineer but it feels really solid. I was almost an engineer once but after taking all of the math and starting into engineering classes I thought to myself "I could not do this every day for 30+ years" and promptly became an outdoor ed student (and business management just in case).
In case you are looking closely the tripod is a temporary means to raise the logs and notch each one out the level things at each end. the 2x4's and other dimensional lumber level things in the middle when the logs bow or turn, like giant shims.
If you looke even closer you can see Jerry Sepich, Terrence, Wren, James and Travis all working away.
Andy and Steve also headed up high to do some fencing and get daley's disaction squared away. They were up there until after dark so I can't wait to see the sceme they have cooked up to solve the scouring issues that plague some places on those otherwise fun trails.


No comments: